New Delhi: In a major move impacting India’s visa and consular outsourcing sector, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has debarred BLS International Services Ltd. from participating in any new government tenders or contracts for a period of two years. The action, effective from October 9, follows multiple complaints and legal disputes from applicants over alleged lapses in service delivery.
According to the order, BLS International will not be eligible to bid for any new consular or visa service contracts for Indian missions abroad until 2027. However, the MEA clarified that the company’s ongoing projects and existing agreements will remain valid and operational under their current terms.
In a statement filed with the stock exchanges, BLS International confirmed the MEA’s directive and stressed that the move will not affect its existing contracts or financial performance. “This order is limited to future bids and has no bearing on current operations or revenues,” the company said, adding that it is working closely with the ministry to resolve the issue.
The company described the debarment as a “procedural development within the outsourcing industry” and expressed confidence in reaching a “constructive resolution in due course.”
“Nearly 90% of our long-term contracts have already been renewed—some extending up to 10 years—ensuring steady business continuity,” the statement added.
Joint Managing Director Shikhar Aggarwal told reporters that BLS remains confident of achieving its 20–25% growth target over the next five years, driven by increasing global demand for outsourced government and visa processing services. He also noted that the company’s diversified international operations would help cushion the impact of the MEA’s decision.
While the company sought to downplay the short-term impact, analysts say the ban poses a serious challenge to BLS International’s expansion plans, particularly given its dependence on government-led contracts. The firm may now have to reassess its near-term priorities and explore new markets or partnerships to sustain momentum.
The decision comes amid heightened scrutiny of outsourcing partners handling sensitive government services. BLS International has recently faced reputational challenges, including compliance issues and the termination of its e-residency contract by Estonia’s Ministry of the Interior earlier this year over alleged irregularities at service centers.
The MEA is also engaged in a legal dispute with another outsourcing firm, Alankit Ltd., over lapses in attestation and apostille services, fueling wider debate on accountability and oversight in the government outsourcing ecosystem.
In the stock market, BLS International’s shares closed slightly lower at ₹337.15 on the NSE on Friday, down 0.04%, even as the Nifty 50 index gained 0.41%. Market experts said the muted response reflects a wait-and-watch approach among investors, with the long-term impact likely to emerge over the coming quarters.
As of now, BLS International has not announced whether it plans to appeal the MEA’s decision. The ministry has yet to issue any further clarification.
